Traveling by air certainly is counted to be one of the most fascinating journeys of one’s traveling experience. The lavish facilities and merits of airways obviously grab people’s heed and thus much of the population shows keen intrigue in traveling by air. Despite its assorted eminence, air travel is often accompanied with a stumbling box to the travelers. The passengers customarily suffer from motion sickness and nausea because of the aircraft’s facet and pressure. To avoid such health muddles, one must keep in mind the essential key points to be followed while traveling through air.
Upshot of Altitude
Though the aircraft stateroom is already pressurized but the barometric pressure is still lesser than that on the ground and it keeps on decreasing with the increase in altitude. This leads to either of the two possibilities
• Decrease in availability of oxygen- With growing altitude the amount of oxygen in atmosphere reduces. The body too absorbs lesser amount of oxygen. Leading to breathing related discomforts. To vanquish this malaise, consult the physicians in the aircraft and ask them for medical oxygen. People with heart or respiratory problems must contact their doctors for per-medication.
• Gas expansion- As long as the expansion of air outwards and inwards while ascending and descending occur steadily, passengers may not experience any trouble. If in case the air does not flow freely from the cavities, you might undergo nausea. To prevent this from happening; yawn frequently, chew something regularly and drink more fluids.
The Stateroom Environment
The atmospheric condition of the aircraft cabin, directly affects the health of the travelers.
• Air quality- Air in the cabin constitutes 50% of the fresh air being brought in by the engines and the rest 50% is the air recirculation done in the cabin itself. There are chances of eruption of transferable infection if someone with a contagious disease is traveling along. People with such diseases must not travel unless they conquer it fully
• Humidity-Since humidity level is comparatively lower in aircraft cabins; one may feel a little pique because of dryness in eyes and skin. To avoid such irritation, one must drink a decent amount of water and juices. Consumption of alcohol and other beverages must be reduced in order to retain moisture.
• Scope for comfort- Sitting regularly for long hours and finding less space to stretch your legs or arms may lead to pain in your body. Also, people may find it awkward in relaxing properly in front of others. For your convenience, you should wear loose and comfortable clothes, walk in the cabin periodically, do not occupy the space in front of your seat by placing something, ask a physician for medication if required and avoid caffeinated beverages.
KINETOSIS It is also known as motion sickness and occurs due to ill coordination between brain and sense organs. To overcome this problem, take per-medication, ask for a window seat somewhere over the wings, use ear plugs, avoid the consumption of alcohol during and before traveling, imagine good things, etc.
• Avoid the intake of heavy meals.
• Consume caffeinated beverages few hours before your flight to avoid tiredness but remember not to take during the flight.
• Rest well before traveling.
• Do not exceed your nap more than 30-40 minutes.
• Don’t panic.
• Use the air sickness bags, if needed.
• Chew a chewing gum to lessen the effect of travel sickness.
• Eat ginger, if possible, to get rid of nausea. Follow these simple tips and have a nice journey.